16 March 2009

Sometimes Things End

Chris and I lasted as long as we were meant to. The situation bears a remarkable resemblance to one that happened three years ago with another gentleman and another wife finding out and that gentleman's desire to do what he could to tend to his family. Yes, it's sad; there was a great foundation of friendship there. However, I certainly can't fault him - either of the "hims" - for making that choice, because I'd have made the same one. Come to think of it, I did myself one time.

The first situation - the one three years ago - led to tears and a reunion in just a couple of months. That was three years ago, and I just spoke to the gentleman last on Thursday. Chris and I are hoping that history will repeat itself with us, that things will settle down and he and I will be able to resume the friendship. As with Jeff, though, there's not really any telling when that will happen, but I sense it will. I cried the tears for my loss, but I also cried the ones that he couldn't shed. After all, big bad Naval officers aren't supposed to cry in uniform.

No comments: